Fleck 5600 sxt softener issues

Users who are viewing this thread

livetoride

Reaction score
Hoping to find help with my system. I have had the system for about 3 years with no problems. Just recently, I had to have my well drop pipe replaced and at the same time went from an above ground pump to submersible. I was without water overnight. Upon restoring of water, I found water very hard and an awful smell.
I have removed all salt, cleaned tank, ran several manual regen cycles. I am noticing that during the brine fill cycle too much water is being put back in and level is above salt. Other than that, I don't really know what else to look for? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Bannerman

Reaction score
noticing that during the brine fill cycle too much water is being put back in and level is above salt.
Fluid above the salt doesn't itself signify much since the salt that was dissolved during each of the manual regeneration cycles, will have caused the remaining salt level to become lower. You didn't specify if you added additional salt.

To ensure a consistant quantity of water entering the brine tank each cycle, the Fleck 5600 utilizes a timer and flow rate restrictor. Regardless of the amount of salt remaining, the same quantity of water should be entering the brine tank each cycle. We usually recommend refilling the brine tank with additional salt when the remaining salt starts to be submerged below the fluid.

When there is an actual issue resulting in too much fluid within the brine tank, that is often the result in brine not being drawn from the brine tank. You didn't indicate if brine was drawn out during each manual regeneration cycle, and you didn't mention if the safety float within the brine tank was being lifted so as to stop water from further entering and overflowing the brine tank.

You also didn't clarify if the additional manual regeneration cycles restored soft water delivery to faucets.

Since the issues occured immediately after replacement of the well pump, perhaps the pump installer bypassed the softener to prevent sediment or other debris from entering the softener.

Suggest 1st inspecting the bypass valve(s) leading to/from the softener. The bypass should allow flow to/from the softener. If equipped with a Fleck plastic bypass assembly, that will typically include two separate valve handles so both handles should be parallel and inline with the direction of flow.

Some installers do not utilize the factory bypass assembly, but instead will plumb in 3
individual valves as a bypass. Again, the two valves leading to/from the softener should be fully open, but the 3rd valve (bridge valve) that will allow hard water to bypass the softener, should be fully closed.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would clean the well by running water to the ground for quite a while. If you will not run out of water, I would go for 24 hours or so. If you will run out of water, I would shut down the pump each time you run out of water.

I would also sanitize my well and plumbing. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up.

During a manual regen, does the brine get sucked out by about 15 minutes or so into the BD? If water is not being drawn, but it is being filled, the water level will rise, limited by the safety float.

If not drawing properly, I would clean the injector and the injector screen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks