Flange removal to replace subfloor

Users who are viewing this thread

nigma444

Reaction score
I'm working on a bathroom remodel and found some subfloor damage when I pulled the toilet and vinyl up. I've cut the brittle portion of the original plywood subfloor around the flange. Initially, I thought I would just replace new plywood in two pieces around the flange so I didn't have to remove it, but it would be more structurally secure if I could remove the flange so the new plywood doesn't have any extra cuts (plus I'll be installing tile afterwards).

I'm curious if anyone can give me any pointers on the best way to remove this thing? Cut it off and replace? I'd like to see if this is something I can tackle on my own before I call in a plumber.

Here's a picture of the flange and pipe. It seems to be copper pipe, but not positive (it is copper color though). And I can't tell if that's a seam right before the bend or not. I'll have to look closer when I get home.

If anyone has had experience with this type of flange and pipe situation, please pass along any info. Much appreciated!

Attachments

• toilet-flange.jpg
    toilet-flange.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 524

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The easier thing to do would be to cut that pipe where it is convenient use a no-hub connector to attach it to new PVC, put down the new floor and install the new flange on top of the finished floor. I think you may have to go to a real plumbing store to get a no-hub connector for copper pipe, though. The ones at places like HD are (I think anyways) sized to connect pvc to pvc or cast iron.

total parts cost would probably be less than $20 and easy to do. My guess is that they should have used a long sweep elbow there under the flange, and I'd do that if you can get the right slope (1/4" per foot mimimum).

nigma444

Reaction score
looked closer at the flange

So the flange is installed over the elbow joint. There's a thinner slot on the elbow joint that the flange was slid over. I assume it was welded or sweated on. It wouldn't be really easy to cut, as I think I'd have to do it before the elbow, install a new elbow and flange. The elbow is really heavy duty metal. And I don't have the skills or stuff to try sweating it off.

Does anyone think one of those Floor and Flange Support Kits could work? Links seem to truncate on here, but they are on Quik Fix Plumb Smart Products website. QuickFix Plumbing Products .com

So I'd just cut my new subfloor holes the size of the flange and then put the flange floor support down and secure it that way? It would be a whole hell of a lot easier for me.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No, you misread me...cut the straight pipe somewhere convenient - a tubing cutter if you have one, or a hacksaw or sawsall works; replace with a short section of pvc, an elbow, maybe a straight piece then a flange. Connect between the old and new with a no hub connector - this is basically a metal reinforced rubber corset. You slide it over the ends of the pieces and tighten the clamps. The rest of the pvc connections are primed with the special primer, slobbered with the solvent welding material, then quickly mated and held for maybe 20-30 seconds while it welds itself together. this is all doable. The potentially hardest thing to find, and then because you have to find an actual plumbing supply store rather than something like HD is the proper nohub connector. The ones the big box stores carry are designed for cast iron or pvc (I think, you'd have to check). None of the parts or materials are expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks