Flange and seal questions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Hodge

Reaction score
I have a waxless foam seal to install. I have never used it. The kit was one that is sold with a 3/8" spacer, a 1/4" foam gasket and the 3/4" foam seal. It was suggested to be used when doing a new tile floor remodel. The top of my closet flange is flush with the tile floor. Do I need to used the spacer? I have three stackable 1/" spacers available as well if need be. Somehow the instructions for the kit have been tossed out. I am nervous about using the foam. Is a wax seal with the rubber flange best?

Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Use the wax seal. Foam seals are mainly used on wall hung toilets.

Hodge

Reaction score
O.K. so I will plan to silicone one 1/4" spacer onto the flange so as to bring the flange above the level of my finished floor rather than flush. I will then use a standard plain wax seal, with no plastic "funnel" on it. After seating the toilet and bolting it down I will leave it for 24hrs before turning the water on to allow the caulk to cure on the spacer. Does this sound about right?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could do without the spacer. Just use a thick wax ring. While it is true the flange ideally rests on top of the finished floor, a little more wax ring will deal with a slight recess such as you describe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks