Fish Pond Liner as Custom Tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

elfgurl

Reaction score
I need to replace a corner shower in a basement. Since we want a tub, but there is really no room, if colour is not an issue, and a proper frame was built, could a fish pond liner (since they come in so many shapes and sizes) be used as a custom bathtub? If it is possible, what would need to be done differently than putting in a fiberglass bathtub?

Thanks bunches.

Leslie

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Think of a balloon being filled with water ... it keeps getting bigger until it finally bursts. A pond liner hanging inside a frame would do the same.

If I had to make a custom tub to fit in an odd space, I would probably use concrete and coat it with a marine finish of some kind. But, that could prove to be quite a project.

JimmyPipewrench

Reaction score
i would use a rubber shower pan liner instead. you could frame the tub, put in the shower pan all the way to the top, concrete board the sides, pour the bottom with concrete sloping to the drain and then tile over it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the molded/preformed fishponds that you just drop into a hole in the ground.

Cookie

Reaction score
Geez, if that would work that would be a really neat idea. You could really play up on it, and then, send a picture to a magazine for new ideas.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hassle may be in getting a working drain stopper that didn't leak. Getting the inspector to approve it would possibly depend on where you live. There are waterproof membranes that could be tiled, but the curves in a tub make that messy.

Wedi makes some spas in odd shapes and will do custom stuff, but I imagine custom stuff is not inexpensive. that would need to be tiled.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks