Fish Pond Liner as Custom Tub?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by elfgurl, Jan 30, 2008.

1. elfgurl

elfgurl New Member

I need to replace a corner shower in a basement. Since we want a tub, but there is really no room, if colour is not an issue, and a proper frame was built, could a fish pond liner (since they come in so many shapes and sizes) be used as a custom bathtub? If it is possible, what would need to be done differently than putting in a fiberglass bathtub?

Thanks bunches.

Leslie
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Think of a balloon being filled with water ... it keeps getting bigger until it finally bursts. A pond liner hanging inside a frame would do the same.

If I had to make a custom tub to fit in an odd space, I would probably use concrete and coat it with a marine finish of some kind. But, that could prove to be quite a project.
  3. JimmyPipewrench

JimmyPipewrench New Member

i would use a rubber shower pan liner instead. you could frame the tub, put in the shower pan all the way to the top, concrete board the sides, pour the bottom with concrete sloping to the drain and then tile over it.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I think he is referring to the molded/preformed fishponds that you just drop into a hole in the ground.
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

Geez, if that would work that would be a really neat idea. You could really play up on it, and then, send a picture to a magazine for new ideas.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The hassle may be in getting a working drain stopper that didn't leak. Getting the inspector to approve it would possibly depend on where you live. There are waterproof membranes that could be tiled, but the curves in a tub make that messy.

Wedi makes some spas in odd shapes and will do custom stuff, but I imagine custom stuff is not inexpensive. that would need to be tiled.