Fireplace Gas Line Cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Docbrown25

Reaction score
Hello - Looking for a little advice here. I am converting my fireplace back to wood burning from having a gas log insert. (** Yes I have had the chimney and fireplace inspected and cleaned **).
I would like to cap the gas line that is coming up through the fireplace floor. I was talking with the builder who built the house about something else and the fireplace came up. He mentioned I could just pull the log set and cap the gas line using some pipe dope.

So, fast forward to today, I shut off the valve on the gas line that goes to the fireplace. I pulled the old gas log set. I went to my local plumber supply store, told them what I needed. They gave me a cap and some pipe dope and I installed.

I'm just being a little bit extra cautious here because of the gas and fireplace. But, I'm looking for confirmation I have the right cap on there.

Attached are pictures of the cap I was given, and also another type of cap I found at Lowes. The pipe is just 1/2 black iron. I'm having doubts as to which cap I should be using.

Which one do I want to use in this scenario?

So just to confirm. I have the valve shut off in the basebent on the gas line that goes up through the fireplace and I have capped the line using pipe dope on the male threads, with the cap shown in picture 1. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance...

Attachments

• 2014-02-12 19.48.43.jpg
    2014-02-12 19.48.43.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 5,942
  • 2014-02-12 19.48.17.jpg
    2014-02-12 19.48.17.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 3,808

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Either one is fine, but a properly installed gas line would have had the valve in the wall next to the fireplace. A valve in the basement is pretty useless if you have malfunction, (such as a cracked supply iine to the log set), and the fire is out of control. And the damper should have been blocked or welded so that it could NOT be closed.

Last edited:

Docbrown25

Reaction score
Either one is fine, but a properly installed gas line would have had the valve in the wall next to the fireplace. A valve in the basement is pretty useless if you have malfunction, (such as a cracked supply iine to the log set), and the fire is out of control. And the damper should have been blocked or welded so that it could NOT be closed.

Thank you all for the replies. Yea we just bought the house and have no experience with a gas fireplace. I always wondered if the damper should be open all the time even if just the pilot was lit.. oh well, its gone now. ready to burn wood!

Nicholas440

Reaction score
I had gas logs in my fireplace, and removed them to restore the fireplace. Mine had a shut off at the log set, and another shut off in the house where the gas line originated from. I shut the line off where it originated from and removed the gas line and plugged it, then I removed the entire line that went into the fireplace and I filled the hole where the gas line was. I have more peace of mind without having a a gas pipe sticking up into the fire area, it's a lot safer, and while it's more work I think in the long run it's the best way to go. The short stub you have there with a cap is going to be exposed to some very hot coals and I would not risk having a gas pipe in the fireplace if you plan on burning logs in it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are you planning to die in that house, and burn it down? If not, then whoever lives there next may want a gas fireplace. The heat of the coals may "weld" the cap to the riser, but it will not "melt" the cap, so there is no danger, even if someone should turn the gas valve on. There is also the possibility that your area, like where I am, will impose "no burn days" on log fireplaces or ban them entirely.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Leaving it there should not be a problem.

Many people buy a Log Lighter kit and use it to get the fire wood started.

You can still buy them, at the local hardware stores.

I would be more worried if your chimney can handle the heat. Some just have a exposed pipe threw the attic space and bricks on the roof to make it look real, when it is not.

Have Fun.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks