finished height of shower drain in slab ?'s

Users who are viewing this thread

xdeaconx

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm putting a full bath in the basement. All the plumbing has been roughed in. I've already self leveled the area.
The drains are cast iron and my question is at what height should I cut the pipe? Should they be flush with the tile?

The shower will be tiled walls w/ a fiberglass pan. I believe there are different types of drains one that fit the O.D. or slide in the I.D.

What is my best course of action after seeing the photos below?
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• stub3.jpg
    stub3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 632
  • stub2.jpg
    stub2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 588
  • stub1.jpg
    stub1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 685

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You need to install the strainer in the shower pad. That will determine the the length the pipe must be. You will also have to remove the cement around the pipe as the strainer extends below the shower pan.

John

xdeaconx

Reaction score
thanks for the info John. Do you have any recommendations as far as the type of drain to use?

Also any tips on how to finish off the toilet stack?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You can get the strains in brass or plastic, i prefer brass. They both come with a rubber donut that seals the pipe.

John

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
thanks for the info John. Do you have any recommendations as far as the type of drain to use?

Also any tips on how to finish off the toilet stack?

That picture looks like a shower base? if so the drain should have been included.

You should have included a pic of your toilet pipe, if thats cemented like the shower pipe you are going to have a problem. :eek:

xdeaconx

Reaction score
uhh ohh.
That photo on the top left (the one without the base) is the toilet stack. I'm not sure I want to know what that means?!

The base was from a contractor friend, so there was no drain with it. Are the drains universal?

thanks guys

xdeaconx

Reaction score
bump for any advice on what I need to do next to finish up the toilet stack?

thanks

xdeaconx

Reaction score
sorry about that, I mean the drain. It's the one in the two photos without the shower base.

thanks

dlh

plumbing consultant
Reaction score
there are other types of flanges other than the one john recommended but his is one of the easiest to install but must be fastened to the floor or it will pull loose.

you will have to chip out some of the concrete around the toilet riser so the flange can sit flush on the finished floor

normally shower risers have what we call a box out around them (basically 4 2x4's nailed together to form a square or pre molded plastic box/pan placed around the pipe and filled with dirt/sand to keep the concrete away from the pipe when it is poured. but since yours doesnt look to have a box (tap around the drain to see if it is shallow concrete) you will need to chip it out also.

measure the diameter of the drain hole in the shower base, just incase there are different sizes, and go to a good plumbing supply house and they should be able to get you a drain that will fit

xdeaconx

Reaction score
thanks for the great info guys.

What would I use to fasten the flange to the slab? Tapcon screws?

I'll start chipping away at the concrete.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange should go on TOP of the FINISHED floor, so you could wait until the tile is down. If you notch the tile when you set them, you won't need to drill through them to anchor the flange. You could use tapcons or a lead anchor. If you use lead anchors, use brass or stainless steel screws.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks