Find the right cast iron riser clamp

Users who are viewing this thread

alasdairc

Reaction score
Hi everyone in the US - posting from Glasgow, Scotland.

I’m remodelling my bathroom in a three storey 130 year old tenement block (apartment) and would like to remove this old cast iron pipe that used to supply cold water from a tank in the loft. The tank was removed years ago when the flat above me was converted into a duplex. The pipe needs removed as it is blocking a bath from being positioned where I want.

pipe.png

I’m on the 2nd floor (we call it the 1st floor). There's a flat above me and one below.

The circumference of this pipe is 9", using Pythagoras I get 2.86479" for it's diameter which seems to be 2 and 7/8" OD. Is that a 2.5" pipe then?
My plan is to use two riser clamps to hold the pipe above and below me and then cut out this entire section. I used an inspection camera to look into the joist space above me and there's no obvious hub or joint under which I could position the riser clamp, so Ill be relying on the friction between the clamp and the pipe alone.

I wanted to know whether a friction hold by one of these clamps would be sufficient to hold the 3m section above me (including it's own staples and clamps etc. I would be securely sitting the riser clamp on a strut/dwang between the ceiling joists above.

When ordering the riser clamps how should I be sizing these?

Many thanks for any advice & recommendations.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2.375 od roughly is 2inch pipe 2 7/8 inch would be 2.5 inch pipe, Ive never seen or heard of 2.5 inch cast iron for drainage Ive used 2.5 inch clean outs but other wise not too common . Maybe in another country like Scotland they have 2 1/2 inch riser clamps ,2 inch I dont think would work unless you measured wrong. Im trusting your measurements though and since its your job order 2 1/2 inch riser clamp

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
2.5 was legal for toilets here back in the day. They don't make pvc is 2.5" anymore but you can still get cast and iron pipe on that size.

I'm not sure what size you have but riser clamps are cheap. Get a couple sizes if your not sure and yes they will definitely hold more than enough to lift the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks