Filtration of Resin media

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Looking at users who have had the unfortunate experience with Resin leaking out into their plumbing for whatever reasons. Hypothetically, would having a sediment filter set up after the Water softener, to catch any of the unwanted media. I have seen that one other time and wanted to see if something like that is a functional response to practice?
Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think that resin leaking is rare enough to not worry about. I would not want to restrict flow all the time on the rare chance of resin leakage.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not only does that catch any broken resin beads that don't get backwashed out, it would catch other sediment that made it thru the softener.

Reaction score
I think that resin leaking is rare enough to not worry about. I would not want to restrict flow all the time on the rare chance of resin leakage.

If I lost some pressure from doing this, is it as easy as adjusting my water pressure restrictor outside to compensate. Or is pressure and flow two separate things? Just thinking out-loud here.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Using a good quality lower basket and riser tube will greatly reduce the chances the basket will become broken and resin will escape into the plumbing system. Utilizing gravel under-bedding can further reduce the potential of resin escaping as the gravel will act to hold the bulk of the resin away from the lower basket.

Online vendors will often offer systems advertising a great Fleck valve, but utilize low quality other components. As shipping is typically included in the purchase price, vendors will often omit including gravel under-bedding to further reduce their costs.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The majority of issues with resin exiting a softener tank is

1: System plumbed in backwards. The system can function if it is installed backwards but under high flow conditions (above 3-4 gpm) the resin will hit the top screen and since upper screens are really nothing more than diffusers and shipping protection (system being laid down), they are not really intended to stop media like a bottom screen is.

2: Cheap bottom screen, very common with the internet guys who are desperate to save a buck. High end heavy duty are made in either the USA or Italy. They cost 30X more than a cheap import screen does. This is a critical component and while 30X may sound like a lot, when you consider that a piece of garbage screen costs about 25 cents, it is not really that expensive to do it right. But when you are going to lose half your sales overnight if another online company beats your price by $1, this is an easy place to shave off a few bucks.

3: Shipping damage. Many online companies ship units completely assembled through UPS, this can work sometimes but the abuse UPS puts on the equipment is amazing.

If you want to put something after the system, a simple Y strainer is usually adequate and can go for decades without service.

David Isom

Reaction score
Looking at users who have had the unfortunate experience with Resin leaking out into their plumbing for whatever reasons. Hypothetically, would having a sediment filter set up after the Water softener, to catch any of the unwanted media. I have seen that one other time and wanted to see if something like that is a functional response to practice?
Thanks
Personally I would say that adding a post filter to detect such was overkill. Nothing beats a good original installation and with regular service inspection So no it should not be necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks