fiberglass good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

cabriggs

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tub/shower to add to a half-bath and make it a full bath. I'd been looking mainly at acrylic units but had a hard time finding any I liked that met my criteria and my budget. My plumber asked me what I have against fiberglass and I didn't have a concrete answer for him. I'm under the impressions that fiberglass is less durable and prone to stain, and that acrylic is more durable and longer-lasting, and since the color goes all the way through, small scratches aren't a problem. He told me he's installed lots of tub/showers from Lasco and not had any problems with them and that their Lascoat gelcoat coating does a good job protecting it from scratches and stains.

So I ask you, how does fiberglass in general, and Lascoat in particular, rate in terms of:
- overall durability
- resistance to scratches
- resistance to stains
- maintainability
- repairability

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

-cb

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue with fiberglass is flex. If it is installed with a firm base so it doesn't flex, it will last for a fair amount of time. You need to be careful and only use non-abrasive cleaners. If you lean on the wall, it also may flex. Flex will cause crazing (small surface cracks). Once those start, staining and discoloration will start to occur. The glass fibers only flex so far before they break.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
"Acrylic tub" means fiberglas structure under an acrylic topping, if I'm not mistaken. So you and he may be talking about the same thing with different words. I don't have time to go look at that company (its web site) you mentioned above. Other tub manufacturers mention how thick the acrylic is on top of their fiberglass tub body.

-David

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The gell coat on fiberglass isn't as thick as the acrylic, nor does it provide any structural strength where the acrylic at least provides some (and isn't as likely to craze).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks