Faucet whistles for a few seconds anytime water runs in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

motjebben

Member since 2004
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
The first floor bathroom faucet whistles or squeaks for a few seconds, any time that water runs in the house. I have replaced the cartridges in the faucet (Moen brand, Monticello model), and experimented with the aerator removed or cleaned-and-replaced. How do I stop these sounds?

(The simplest way to get the whistle sound is to turn on THAT faucet itself. After about 2 seconds it will whistle for about 2 seconds. Furthermore, if any other faucet is turned on in the house, that faucet will again whistle for about 2 seconds. Even the washing machine will trigger it to whistle for that short burst.)

Help!

motjebben

Member since 2004
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
hmmm.....
Because it doesn't make much sense that the faucet could be the culprit, because I've replaced the key components, I'm now suspecting the nearby toilet. With a bit of more careful listening, I am beginning to think IT is the cause. Might a Fluidmaster valve not handle pressure properly?

-Mike

motjebben

Member since 2004
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
Good question. I don't know. Is there a gauge that I can buy that I can attach to the threads on a faucet or outdoor spigot? OR should I add one somewhere in the main supply line?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Watts make a nice one that connects on a hose bibb that has a lazy hand that will register the highest pressure reached over a period of time...

You can find this gauge or another brand at most hardware stores, plumbing supply houses, and big box home centers.

IWTG.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIth adapters, you can then screw that gauge nearly anywhere.

motjebben

Member since 2004
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
Problem solved! Was Fluidmaster toilet valve!

I obtained a pressure gauge (thank you all for suggestions!). Pressure measures around 55.
Searching the web indicates that this is okay...

I kept searching for the sound and, "luckily", while searching the Fluidmaster started whistling constantly and was then easy to discover.

I took the little cap off of the valve and thoroughly cleaned it and flushed the valve. Reassembled everything and it no longer whistles! Not for a few days now, at least!

Thank you all !

-Mike

(p.s... I'll assume the 55 is okay for the pressure unless I hear back from any of you otherwise...)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
55 is fine. Above 80# should be regulated to something below that. Toilet valves are fairly common to make noises, but usually it is because the pressure is high. But, at least on that model, the seal is easily replaceable, and not much money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks