Exteme build up on well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Smb2415

Reaction score
Trying to help a family member with limited financial means. They’ve been having to replace their well pump every 1-2yrs due to failure. It’s a submersible pump. I’ve advised them to get an independent water test and stop drinking the water until then. Also advised to get help from a professional. BUT. What is this? Is this calcium? How would someone treat their well to prevent this constant buildup and pump failure? Obviously in the home there’s going to need filters, probably neutralizer and softener. Plus whatever else.

IMG_7780.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Interesting. Calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate would be hard particles, and could be dissolved in an acid such as vinegar, for testing purposese. Common salt would dissolve in water. Is this material hard, or soft, or jelly? It looks hard.

Getting the water tested by a lab is a good idea. For measuring pH, I like an inexpensive pH meters yellow Digital Electric PH Meter LCD Tester. Currently, via Ebay under $10 including US shipping with pH powder packets to make a calibration solution. To make the solution, you combine the packet contents with a measured amount of distilled water.

They often come with a little screwdriver for adjusting in the calibration solution before each use. You will need a little screwdriver.

Sometimes they also come bundled with a TDS meter, and that might be useful for some things too. A TDS meter does not measure hardness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks