Expansion Tank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cthudak, Oct 23, 2008.

1. cthudak

cthudak New Member

Hi ,
    Great forum, this is my first post. My question is whether it is critical for the hot water expansion tank to be installed in the COLD side of the system. My hot water tank installation is in a real confined area, and the previous owners had the expansion tank in the HOT outlet side of the tank. If it must me in the cold side, can I install it anywhere in the cold side of the system? I have lots of room where the line comes out of the slab after the main shut-off valve. Thanks in advance for the help..Great website

http://www.watts.com/pdf/1915356.pdf
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

It is my understanding that the expansion tank will work on the hot side, but the cold side is best. It can be installed anywhere between the water heater and the PRV.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Optimum positioning would be with a tee between the inlet valve and the tank on the cold side. The tank may be positioned remote from that location.