enlighten me on breaker

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by snafflekid, Aug 26, 2007.

1. snafflekid

snafflekid Electrical Engineer

What is the purpose of quad circuit breakers? Specifically, a Siemens QT breaker with 15/30/30/15 amp breakers where the center pair are common trip? I have also seen quad, tandem circuit breakers in the same configuration but only take two spaces.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

You have one 15 amp and one 30 amp two pole breaker in one unit
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It is simply just that...a double pole 30, and two 15's. Probably a convenicence for the installer, and maybe a little less expensive.

Many brands make "regular" and "thin" breakers to work in the same panel.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

breaker

They are used when the box does not have adequate openings for all the breakers needed, assuming the panel has the capacity for the added loads.
  5. snafflekid

snafflekid Electrical Engineer

I thought I once saw MC cable (or maybe it was BX) that had 3 10 AWG wires and 3 14 AWG wire in it (or some similar configuration) and thought quad breakers were made to convieniently match with this cable in multiwire branch circuits??? HMM.