Enameled steel tub rusted flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
I have a installed enamel steel tub that tilts towards the right front corner. While removing the wall for mold remediation and remodel I noted that that corner of the flange is rusting. Checking with a level shows the tub has a slight tilt to that corner, which is where the mold started.

That corner flange has started rusting on the vertical right at the angle, Starts at the bottom and goes unto the top.

Is there a good way to perform a lasting repair? It would be very difficult to brush it and clean it for a repair. Possible Naval rust destroyer or convertor, followed by Porcelain epoxy? JB weld?

Replacing the tub pretty much not a preferred as I will have to open up walls and ceilings to get to the plumbing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's really hard to arrest rust on something like a tub, and especially if it is not installed level and plumb...water will sit at the low point. That type of construction is about as inexpensive as you can get, and the life reflects it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Por-15 primer is nice for stopping rust. If this is hidden, you do not need a top coat of paint. The primer is black. If this is visible after the tile goes on, it is going to be hard to make it look decent.

I would dry the rust well with extended heat before applying rust converter or Por-15 or whatever.

There are professionals that refinish tubs with epoxy and maybe some alternatives. I have been told that can be really nice. I would look into that if you don't want to put in a new tub.

Most steel tubs go over 50 years without rusting.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks