Electrician screwed up, what can I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I had new cabinets put in and the electrician came and put in under cabinet puck lighting that had transformers in the cabinet. The wiring is all behind the wall except for the wire running to the pucks. My problem is that the electrician wired 4 20 watt lights to a 12531BK 60 watt transformer. You know what happens next. The lights are rather dim especially compared to the 2 on the right side that are connected to another transformer. These are made by Kichler. What can I do? The cabinets are in and I don't want the guy back. All I need to do is switch to a larger transformer right? If so, does Kichler make an 80 watt transformer? If not, who does and what should I do? Thanks.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Find a Kichler dealer and ask them what the next size transformer is. Have another electrician install it.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
No matter what you do if you don’t call the original electrician back then you assume all liability of the original installation. Being you said this is a new installation you would lose any warranties written or implied

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
As it stands right now and this is assuming that everything was done correctly the original electrician is bound by law, or at least here in NC, to fulfill the contract and ensure compliant installation. This would include any burden of labor and monies.
Once the homeowner or anyone else starts working on this installation then the liability of the installation will rest with them.

All that is required of the homeowner is to contact the electrical inspector and the licensing board and the problem will be resolved in a quick manner.
If this is one of those deals where the work was being done without inspections then you will in most cases find this type of end result with the added expenses.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
Ok, can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? I got the 180 w trans/ that the cupboard guy sent me free of charge. I opened up the 180 and actually what is in there is 3 separate trans/. What do I do?//

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Funky situation...that won't help without rewiring things. If all of the leads to the low-voltage lamps come back to one place or you can get them there, you would need to wire two of the transformers to the line voltage, and for the low-voltage side, I'd put two lamps on each. It's fine to under load the transformer. But, a better solution would have been a single transformer, but larger. Maybe they don't actually make one. The safest thing would be to have the electrician fix it.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
Someone said you could splice two transformers to make one. ??????????????????? Will that work?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks