Electrical Advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and an avid DIY'er. I'm in the middle of a gut and remodel on our house that was built in the 60's. I have found several very useful electrical sites to help me out with my problems (which there were many with our house) but I think the key as a DIY'er is knowing your limitations. After taking a look at our main panel and seeing a big ball of non-code meeting mess I knew a pro was needed. When they arrived to do the work I asked if they minded if I watched and they had no issues with it and actually taught me alot in the few hours they were there and said if I ever needed any advice give them a call. Do I think this is normal, no. Most contractors I have dealt with aren't big on sharing info which I understand to a certain degree. I rewired all but three runs in my house and added an additional 8 circuits and replaced all outlets, switches, etc. saving myself thousands of dollars in the process. So I understand why some contractors are hesitant about giving up info but I also know from my standpoint that I will refer the contractor that took time to explain and help me out, to everyone who asks me "who's a good electrician?" and the next time I need a pro he'll be the first person I call. :) There are good folks out there, you just have to find them.

Brian

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
frenchie said:
Genie, you are so full of it.

Mike Whitt, electrical instructor by trade, answers any question anyone wants to ask here. Speedy Petey, Bob, Chris... lots of sparkies spreading their knowledge.

Terry said:
There is a lot of good advice being given out.
I think guys like Mike and the others should be thanked for their help.

Thank you both for the kind words. It is because of the gratitude that people like you show that I continue to try to help those in need of my knowledge.

The two things that scares me most about the “How To†questions are those questions that don’t get asked and the bad advice that is given by those with “I think I know†knowledge.

An example of this would be a two gain switch box. This box will have to comply with the rules of no less than eleven different sections of the NEC. Which one of the sections is the person asking for advice leaving out?

Then we have the old “handyman†or “electrician†that has been doing it this way without any problems for several years. This does not make a compliant or safe installation.

It has taken me 37+ years to get to where I am at today and there is no way that I can tell someone what I know in one post on a web site such as this one.

For those out there that think that there is no danger to life in plumbing I would ask you to please refrain from doing any plumbing.

Not far from where I live a family had a baby and decided to add a laundry sink in the bath that joined the bedroom they turned into a nursery for the new baby.
Uncle Bob (not his real name) worked in a local factory as a maintenance man and did the work.

He cut into the waste line next to the water closet and installed a tee and connected to the sink (no vent). The smell was over looked as being the diapers. Baby was constantly going to the doctor and no one could figure out what the problem was until Mom and Dad decided to not leave diapers in the room any longer. Smell didn’t go away so they sought professional help.
Every time the commode was flushed it siphoned the water out of the trap on the new laundry sink letting the septic fumes fill the room. The baby was slowly being gassed to death.

This is why so many states have adopted licensing laws for certain trades. These trades all have life safety issues and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
jwelectric said:
.... two things that scares me most ... questions that don’t get asked and the bad advice that is given by those with “I think I know†knowledge....
this is good.

It's true that there's SO much that can't be said in one post, and so much left unsaid when a question gets asked; so much, that it can be a big dilemma.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks