Electric Hot Water Tank Suddenly Stinky

Users who are viewing this thread

Driz

Reaction score
40 gallon State Electric hot water tank 5 or so years old in a rental trailer I own. Lots of lime in the water in the area. Lots of sediment build up 2 years ago when I last drained it. It had built up to the point where the lower element had shorted at the time.

That was then this is now. Tenant says it started to stink a couple weeks ago never did before. Also claims it is very weak on hot water and taking forever to heat up and little available. I am going to go drain it tomorrow morning so I want a feel for what to expect beyond what I did before.

I am thinking the lower element is buried and burned out again. I am curious about the coincidental stink though, any opinions before I go get dirty?????? Thanks in advance.

PlumbPowerHouse

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbingsolutionsllc.com
That smell is coming from bacteria in the water. It's building up in your water heater and it gives you a smelly water heater. I suggest cutting off the water and put a few pints of hydrogen peroxide in to the heater and then hook it back up and run some water through it. Open all spigots and taps for a while. It should cure the smell. If the water sits in the heater for a long time, then it will smell again, so be careful when going out of town.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sounds like the anode rod. When they go you will sometimes get a sulphur smell.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tank's been there for 5-years, wouldn't the smells start when installed if the water and the anode type weren't compatible?

Reaction score
The tank is running cool much of the time and has sedimentation/scaling issues. I've never had stinky water, but this sounds like an ideal environment to grow bacteria.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks