Electric Hot water heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ralph Matuska

Reaction score
My questions are: When I first turn on my cold water in the morning it comes out very warm and after 15 to 30 seconds it gets cold. My thermostats are set 140 for the top and 142 for the bottom. I have a well and the pump is set to come on at 40 lbs and cut out at 60 lbs and my pressure tank has 38 lbs of air. I also run out of hot water if I take a 12 minute shower. It did not used to run out that soon. I replaced the elements in the tank and checked the fill pipe. (It goes almost to the bottom of the tank). I have a 40gal tank with electric heat. . There is no sediment in the tank. Also, how do you check an element to see if it is good? Can I just disconnect the wires and use an ohm meter to see if there is continuity? I am 83 years old and am a retired dentist and have done all my own plumbing and electrical for 50 years. I am stumped. HELP!!! I am really not sure how to use this form and how to find any responses.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I also run out of hot water if I take a 12 minute shower. 1
Also, how do you check an element to see if it is good? Can I just disconnect the wires and use an ohm meter to see if there is continuity? 2
1 3 gals/min x 12 min = 36 gals at less than 108F.
2 They should read 13 ohms, give or take. Also make sure there is no continuity between the element and ground.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
element

A stuck thermostat will not allow the element to heat the water even if it is a good element. I check to see if the elment SHOULD be heating with a voltmeter, and if it is then if it IS heating with an ammeter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks