Ejector pump lines shakes after pump turns off

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle

Reaction score
I'm converting a detached garage to living space. The city requires me to connect all utilities and drainage to my main house, 30 feet away.

The garage building is a few feet lower than the 4" main sewer line in the main house basement so I have to use a pump.

The 2" line from the pump connects to the 4" main cast-iron line directly below the only bathroom in the main house.

I tested the pump yesterday and it pushes the water fine but the 2" pipe vibrates and shakes terribly after the pump stops running. While the pump was running, I also noticed a bit of swirling in the water inside the house toilet bowl (which is directly above where the 2" pump line connects to the 4" main sewer line leaving the house).

Could it be I need another vent somewhere in the 2" pump line?

Here are some more specifics: Outside the garage building, I have a 5' deep, 24" wide basin and have a Zoeller N267 (1/2 HP) discharging into the 2" PVC line. That line runs a total of 63 feet before it connects to the house's 4" sewer line. There are only two vertical sections to that 63' run---the 4' rise from the pump to the point it exits the basin and a 3.5' section in the basement of the main house. Everything else in that 63' run is mostly horizontal. There are four 90 degree elbows and one 45 degree elbow in the pump's run before it enters the 4" main.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks