efficient furnace vs insulating

Users who are viewing this thread

zentantos

Reaction score
Can't afford to do both at the same time, so am hoping for advice on which to do first.
I have a newly purchased 100+ year old house with no insulation and a 50 year old furnace.
What would reduce home heating costs more: a new, efficient furnace or insulating?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
A 100% efficient furnace will still lose heat through too little insulation.
You'd be paying to heat the air outside and around your house.

With perfect insulation, the heat given off by your appliances and the people in your house (about 100w per person) could heat your house, if you never opened windows or doors and had no infiltration losses.

Here's how much insulation you should have
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer...nsulation.html
The law of diminishing returns says don't add more than this.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Inasulation is always the first step. As old as the heating system is changing it now will not have near as much effect as insulating would. I had a similar situation a few years back with a 200 year old house. I did the really smart thing and sold it. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks