Easy way to remove punchout on disposal?already installed

Users who are viewing this thread

qkrinkle

Reaction score
i'm a dork.

i put my new disposer in and worked like a champ. tried the dishwasher and got niagra falls from the sink overflow.

guess i didn't remove the dishwasher punchout, huh? is there an easy way to do this or is it an hour long process of hammering a screwdriver blindly into the hole?

thanks! :confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ko

It is a one minute job with a hammer and screwdriver. Just insert the screwdriver against one side of the KO and hit it with the hammer. It should pop out, but if not repeat it on the other side. Be sure to remove the slug from the disposer afterwards.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I usually just knocked it out with my channel locks and a screw driver. It comes out quite easily.

If you can't get your hand inside to remove the knock out, put some putty on the handle of a screwdriver, reach in and grab it.

qkrinkle

Reaction score
now i know why...

you said to use a screwdriver w/ putty to remove the fallen plug. got my big fat middle finger stuck inside the hole trying to get the plug out. luckily i had a can of wd40 under the sink so i sprayed the heck outta my stuck finger and got it loose.

oh, but the putty fell off the screwdriver and i had to turn off the power and reach in to get the plug AND the putty.

but all is well now and this 8 1/2 month pregnant woman can now wash dishes properly-in the dishwasher! :)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually use a long needlenose pliers to extract stuff from a disposal-- along with a flashlight--so I can see where to grab hold of.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks