Easy standpipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Ian Gills, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Jul 24, 2007
    Robber, with some DIY on the side.
    In my basement I have an old cast iron sink that is properly drained and vented to cast iron pipe.

I will be replacing this rusty old sink with a new utility sink. No problems there.

Currently, my washing machine drains into the sink, and one possibility is to continue draining it into the new sink.

But I am thinking about possible ways to make the set-up look neater.

I would like to install a standpipe. I understand that I would need to vent this. I have seen Terry's diagram about how I could do this and vent it. However, I do not really want to do it this way, given that I have iron pipe. Rather than go to that trouble I would opt to continue draining into the sink.

But I have also just read about Air Admittance Valves.

So here is my question.

If I plumbed in a stand pipe, with a p-trap and an AAV and then joined this to before the P-trap on the utility sink (which is normally vented) would this be OK?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    It may not work...AAV's allow air in, not out (unless they're broken). A washing machine pushes a lot of water out, creating a big air pressure wave. A normal vent would allow that to equalize, an AAV wouldn't. Just my 2-cents...
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement