Duravit vario help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

diymomma

Reaction score
Bought a Duravit Happy D and the vario connector for a small attic powder room where rear discharge was needed. Problem is, my plumber has never installed one before and is confused. He doesn't know how to connect the Vario to the pipe he already roughed into the wall. He took some of the parts with him, so I can't take a look at it myself now, but he said something about not knowing what the Vario is made of, so doesn't know what glue/ sealant to use. He also said something about the pipe sizes being different.

If any of you plumbers out there have installed one before, I hope you can tell me what to tell him before he just guesses and rigs it with globs of silicone.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Maybe your handyman should get out his reading glasses and read the freaking directions. Undoubtedly, they cover most or all of this. The spec sheet would say what material the connector is. If he's thrown the directions away already, you can find them on the Duravit website.

Not for nothing, but why did he rough in a pipe without knowing what it was going to be connected to?

diymomma

Reaction score
I agree that I shouldn't have to figure this out for him, but I did not see any directions or spec sheet included with either the toilet or the vario kit myself. He says he has asked at the plumbing supply place, and he has tried calling Duravit, and has gotten no response. I was hoping that I would find a plumber here that has installed one of these and maybe get a quick easy answer so he could just install the darned thing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Duravit website does not seem to have any installation instructions on it that I could find.

Is this a floor-mounted, rear outlet toilet? or a wall-hung one? How you seal things may differ based on that. A wall-hung one would also require a wall carrier to reinforce the wall and hold the toilet. Some of the Vario bits appear to have rubber gaskets and some do not, making things even more difficult. THat's one hassle about a primarily European company, what may be common knowledge there, does not apply to the way we do things here even with the proper 'adapters'. Metric verses inches is only part of the problem.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Duravit website does not seem to have any installation instructions on it that I could find.

They are in the downloads tab for each product. The 2 piece doesn't have separate instructions. See the downloads for the 1 piece.

diymomma

Reaction score
Ok, took a closer look and some measurements. The Vario is a thinner plastic (ABS?) with an outer diameter of 10.5 cm. The US pipe is thicker (PVC?) and an outer diameter of 9 cm. Nothing is roughed through the wall yet, just brought up into a storage room behind the toilet and capped so far. Oh, and if makes any difference for sourcing parts, I have moved from Canada, and now live outside Boston.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks