Dumb water softener question, why does increasing the salt level lenthten regen time

Users who are viewing this thread

jasper7821

Reaction score
I've only had my softener for a few weeks and thanks to you guys it's working great.
I only added two 40lb bags of potassium to make sure it worked good since I bought it on Craigslist (the softener was brand new in the box)

Anyways, the manual said the days between regeneration would be a little erratic for a few weeks until the softener got used to our water usage.
The salt lever goes from 1-8 and I had it at 2 and it said recharge in 39 days but over the course of a week I looked at it at night and it said recharge tonight and it's recharges two times in the last week.
Question is, if it said 39 days then why would it want to recharge.

Also, I just added more potassium to level 7 and it now says 169 days until recharge.
why does it recharge less frequently if there's more potassium or salt in it ?
So does keeping the level higher save water since it would regenerate less often ?

I'm using potassium because the softener goes through the whole house including the backyard.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks