Drywall beside shower is getting wet

Users who are viewing this thread

Rachael243

Reaction score
We bought our house brand new in 2013. The shower in our master bath has tiled walls with a plastic shower pan. When we moved in the shower didn't have a door so my husband installed a frameless glass shower door himself. He silicones all the screw holes as stated in the installation instructions and caulked around the joints.

Over the next few months we notice the drywall that meets the shower wall/shower pan started to look like it was getting wet with every use of the shower. I thought maybe it was seeping through the grout so I sealed the tile myself to make sure that wasn't the problem. This seemed to help short-term, but after a month or two the drywall was getting wet again. It's gotten to the point where I repaired the drywall with spackel once and repainted it and it's desinigrated again. It looks awful.

The caulk that was surrounding the joint where the tile and shower pan meet started to look dark and very mildewy so I actually just ripped it all out today. When I did I noticed the grout behind in was very wet. What would cause this? How do I fix it? I've added a few pictures so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 8,678
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 15,214
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 10,284
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 8,048
Reaction score
We bought our house brand new in 2013.
This is a great example of how new house contractors pinch every dollar, resulting in improper materials that cost less to give the builder more profit.
I noticed the grout behind in was very wet. What would cause this?
Normal use. Showers are very wet by nature. You can't stop where and what gets wet.
How do I fix it?
Any patching you try now is just a band-aid for a problem that has long been there, that has already had years of damage.

You can try to use a whole lot of caulking in the shower, and try to re-plaster and re-paint the drywall, that's something you would do for a quick cosmetic hide-up if you were going to sell your home to let the next owner deal with it.

You can do a more thorough repair by cutting away all damaged areas, and repair just sections with new wall and new tiles. This can buy a few more years before it rots again, when other parts of your shower you did not replace will have rotted too.

Otherwise, if this is a shower you want to keep in a home you like to protect, tear it all out and do it right.

You need to build a shower PROPERLY with material that is impervious to water.

Take a look at some of the Schluter Systems videos, see what goes into a Schluter wet room, how all of their materials are water resistant. Schluter doesn't even bother with waterproofing, their entire stance is to AVOID using products that can damage from water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachael243

Reaction score
So if I tear out the bottom layer of grout and regrout and recaulk is that going to help? I don't think the water has gotten behind the pan all the way around. I think the water is just finding its way out on the ends at the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any idea what is behind the tile? If they used drywall, eventually, you'll need to tear things out. Drywall cannot be used directly behind tile in a wet area. To me, it's a crime that some people still do. There are only two ways it can work, and I really doubt that was done (products made by Schluter and Laticrete are designed to be used in wet areas over drywall).

Moisture will wick through the paper of drywall from the shower to outside. Caulk nor sealer will help, and are a short-term patch. If your pan was not installed level, that could be part of the issue. That will allow moisture to pool rather than flow back into the pan and down the drain. Wiping the shower down with your towel after you finish drying yourself will extend the life, but not solve the problem.

Rachael243

Reaction score
Unfor
Any idea what is behind the tile? If they used drywall, eventually, you'll need to tear things out. Drywall cannot be used directly behind tile in a wet area. To me, it's a crime that some people still do. There are only two ways it can work, and I really doubt that was done (products made by Schluter and Laticrete are designed to be used in wet areas over drywall).

Moisture will wick through the paper of drywall from the shower to outside. Caulk nor sealer will help, and are a short-term patch. If your pan was not installed level, that could be part of the issue. That will allow moisture to pool rather than flow back into the pan and down the drain. Wiping the shower down with your towel after you finish drying yourself will extend the life, but not solve the problem.

Unfortunately I don't know what's behind the tile. I would like to think the contractor would use cement board but all the way up to where the wall meets the tile so far all I've seen is drywall so I have my suspicions. We bought the house new but it was pre built (we didn't build it). So I don't know what type of materials he used. He is bankrupt and out of business now if that tells you anything thank you all for your replies

kimtan

Reaction score
the same problem i had in may house, i think i should have close look at this post to get some suggestion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks