Dryer Vent

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Still_Waters_43, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Still_Waters_43

Still_Waters_43 New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    My vent goes to the outside through my garage. I have tried several vents over the years but tossed them because of excessive lint buildup which keeps the vent flap open (till I noticed that is:rolleyes:) Anyway my current vent has a magnetic closer flap. The problem is it has a wire mesh just inside the flap (good for keeping critters out), but it also collects lint :mad:

Years ago I lived in an apartment that had a flap that opened electrically (whenever the dryer was turned on) does anyone know where I could find one of these today?.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    There's one I've seen that curves vertical. Then, there's a cup that fits over the end. The air pressure causes it to rise, leaving a fairly unobstructed outlet. When the dryer stops, gravity causes the cup to drop, sealing it well from all critters. If I remember, it is paintable. I saw this at HD awhile ago, but don't know if they carry it still or how widespread it is. I first noticed it in a magazine, maybe Popular Electronics.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    There is a lot of lint in dryer exhaust. Pretty much no way of getting around that. You can try to find some kind of flapper which is more lint friendly. I just clean it out once in a while.
  5. delta d

delta d New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    you can purchase a coil brush from lowe's to clean it out once a month or so and continue using a normal vent flap. maintenance is king of this problem
  6. Still_Waters_43

Still_Waters_43 New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Bump!, so no one has seen an electrical vent :confused: