Drip Trap for Propane Appliances

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by FredC, Mar 3, 2007.

1. FredC

FredC New Member

Do You need to install a drip trap on a vertical line going to a cook stove. I have 14 ft of 3/4 balck pipe coming down through the wall to a cook top. Should I add a tee and a 6" nipple with a cap to the end at the bottom. The source is LP gas. Thank you.

Fred
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drip

We don't even use them with natural gas any more.
  3. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

If you have the material and ability, I would...
    Put the tee in, a 3" nipple, a ball valve and another 3" nipple with a cap...
    If and when you do decide to "clean out" the dirt leg, just close the valve, remove the cap and clean it...
    Then replace the cap and re-open the valve...
    You may never need it, but if you do, the valve is a good idea...
  4. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

When our gas meter was replaced a year or so ago, the worker came inside to check for unlit pilots and so on, and when our furnace would not light itself, he pulled the cap off that "drip trap" or "dirt leg" for a few seconds to purge the air from the line ... and that is why I would install one.
  5. coz

coz New Member

Its designed to catch scale and moisture. i have pulled drip caps and gotten enough water to block the line.(in a commercial building) They are required by code in my state.