Drip drip drip

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
there is probably an easy answer to this question. i just removed my bathroom vanity and faucet. And of course I completely turned off the water supply valves first.

Unfortunately one of the valves won't stop dripping. (I did leave the the braided connectors attached to the supply valves but i can't imagine that having anything to with it.) so i am guessing that i need to replace the valve?

D'Brie

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
there is probably an easy answer to this question. i just removed my bathroom vanity and faucet. And of course I completely turned off the water supply valves first.

Unfortunately one of the valves won't stop dripping. (I did leave the the braided connectors attached to the supply valves but i can't imagine that having anything to with it.) so i am guessing that i need to replace the valve?

I don't know the age of your stops and supplies but I would replace them all. They're not expensive, you'll have peace of mind but you may need a stop puller tool if your stops are on copper. Good luck. :)

Reaction score
There are new style stops that are 1/4 turn.

I don't know the age of your stops and supplies but I would replace them all. They're not expensive, you'll have peace of mind but you may need a stop puller tool if your stops are on copper. Good luck. :)

The stops are connected top copper. in fact are soldered. Will a stop puller tool get the valve off or do i need to call a plumber to blow torch them off?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you decide to replace, you'll need to unsolder the existing valves unless the pipe is long enough to cut them off and still install a new valve. As noted, you may be able to just replace a washer, but the seat (the part it seals to) may be bad as well, and a new washer may not do much.

Reaction score
i appreciate all the replies. one last question. i unsoldered the valves and put on new compression valves. i was going to use teflon tape to connect the supply lines. should have i also have used teflon tape on the compression nut connection too?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
NO TEFLON TAPE in this picture any where. NOT on the compression fitting, and NOT on any connection to the supply line. It will CAUSE a leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks