drain/waste vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

tlt3900

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm wanting to add a new lavatory to my bathroom upstairs. I hope i can explain my situation well enough in words.

The existing toilet drain is about 4 feet from it's 3 inch waste vent. The new lavatory I want to add is about 6-8 inches away from the vertical section of the 3 inch waste vent for the toilet. Is it okay just to add a sanitary Tee into the waste vent and add my new lavatory drain there? Will creating this wet vent be an issue?

Or, is it a better idea to run a separate vent line off of the new lavatory and then tie into the waste vent higher and run a separate drain for the lavatory and tie in with a Wye connector near the toilet drain.

patma

Reaction score
I just spent a ton of time researching toilet venting. Seems there is just as much support for a vent as there is for no vent. (A real hotly debated issue) I elected to wet vent the drain via a lav wye 7 feet from the flange. The toilet plumbing I removed for this remodel had no vent at all and the 3" drain line ran 11 feet. I worked fine for many years. I did not know it but toilets are considered self venting but codes require them on systems to protect other trap seals. (I'm an a DIY'er so take my comments w/ caution.. ;) Good luck. Great site here for info...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks