drain/venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

rbird7282

Reaction score
I am currently redoing a bathroom and have a drain/venting question.The toilet is about 2' from the 3" stack. The 3" stack has a 1 1/2" vent coming out of the top of it (just above the toilet tee)and through the roof. There is a shower and lavatory that tie into the 3" toilet line and both are vented with above where the lavatory drain lineties in. I have no problem venting the new lavatory and shower, but the toilet need to move to the other side of the bathroom. I will be about 4' from the stack. I want to know if I can get rid of the vent coming out of the top of the stack above where the toilet ties in, and add a vent in the 3" elbow for the toilet. This vent would go up a new wall and tie back in to the existing in the attic. I have no problem adding a vent, I just don't want it to be in the same wall that it is now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The 1½" vent is too small, although it probably works fine. You should keep the 1½ and add a 2" vent for the toilet. You cannot vent the toilet with a heel inlet elbow, though. You will need a tee on the vertical, or a wye off the horizontal branch, with the wye rolled up 45º.

rbird7282

Reaction score
Actually the vent coming out of the top of the stack is 2". You are saying need to add a vent for the toilet as well? That would make three separate vents for the bath. I was hoping to keep the one for the lavatory and the shower and then have one other, preferably near the toilet (coming off a wye as you have indicated) and eliminate the one above the stack if possible. I guess I can't do do that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each fixture should have its own vent, but some places will allow a wet vent.

rbird7282

Reaction score
Can I vent the shower and lavatory with a 2" vent & keep the 2" vent coming out of the top of the stack? Will that be enough without addind another vent for the toilet? The 2" drain line will tie into the 3" line with a wye which will be right next to the stack. The toilet will be about three feet from the wye and stack. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks