Double sink won't drain no clog

Users who are viewing this thread

jstafford08

Reaction score
I have a double sink with disposal that won't drain what so ever. I tried to plunge it with no luck, next I dis -assembled the trap underneath and found no blockages whatsoever ever. My next step was to snake the drain past the trap which came up clean as well. From there I went to the exterior clean out and shoved my snake in there (20') which also came up clean. Thinking maybe my snake doesn't reach the clog I shoved my garden hose in and ran it wide open for a few minutes and it didn't backup at all. Once I reassembled all the piping I poured hot water into my sink to feel how far it was reaching before stopping. The hot water is stopping at the trap under the sink but as I said before it is completely clear. I have a air gap vent which seems to be clear but am not sure how to be completely sure of that.

Any ideas what I should do next before I call a plumber?

Thanks in advance for any help

Reach4

Reaction score
  1. If you put water into one bowl, does it come up in the other bowl?
  2. If so, does the level equalize quickly or slowly?
  3. How quickly does the water level go down?

jstafford08

Reaction score
  1. If you put water into one bowl, does it come up in the other bowl?
  2. If so, does the level equalize quickly or slowly?
  3. How quickly does the water level go down?
1. Correct if I flow water in one basin it does fill the other as well
2. It equalizes quickly
3. Extremely slow

Reach4

Reaction score
My next step was to snake the drain past the trap which came up clean as well. From there I went to the exterior clean out and shoved my snake in there (20') which also came up clean. Thinking maybe my snake doesn't reach the clog I shoved my garden hose in and ran it wide open for a few minutes and it didn't backup at all.
Exterior cleanout? You don't mean outside, do you? Or do you mean a cleanout at or above the trap arm?

The "air gap vent" is between the dishwasher and the garbage disposer, right. Or do you mean that you have an air admittance valve (AAV) instead of a regular vent?

How about a photo from under the sink with the trap removed? I am thinking thinking that you want to run a hose into the trap arm. I suspect the trap arm is blocked from accepting water. Use a bucket to catch the water that gets blocked.

trap-with-seal.jpg

I am not a plumber.

jstafford08

Reaction score
Correct about 8' after the drain there is clean out access outside of the house which came up with nothing. If you see the attached photo I removed everything from the white poly nuts below and things run as clear as can be, no stoppage. I then snaked the drain exiting from under the sink and found no blockage. Essentially the water is just not getting past the trap when plumbing is assembled however water will flow freely if I run a garden hose down the trap with the trap assembly removed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 23,052

Reach4

Reaction score
You picture cleared things up. See attached pix with yellow letters. You loosened the nuts at A, B, and C and you removed the glued-together pieces? Is F a nut or glued? If F is glued, I can see E being replaced by a trap adapter. The new trap arm could then be unscrewed and a snake run into the drain pipe to the left of F.

Did you try putting your snake up into D? If so, I think you need a bigger snake so that you are not just poking a small hole through the clog. I wonder if a small Brasscraft inflatable bladder would fit through D into the trap arm.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 24,430

jstafford08

Reaction score
Problem solved! The 90 that comes off of the the drain and screws into the trap (D) is glued. I ended up cutting between D and E, ran to home cheapo and got a bladder and let that sucker spray for a good 5min. I used a pipe sleeve to mate the two ends back together and everything is draining just fine.

What I believe was happening was there was a bunch of small debris (egg shells) in the bottom of the pipe that weren't blocking much of the pipe just enough on the bottom to stop the flow due to the minimal angle in the pipe. So I think my snake was going right over the debris field.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Sidkarimi

Reaction score
Problem solved! The 90 that comes off of the the drain and screws into the trap (D) is glued. I ended up cutting between D and E, ran to home cheapo and got a bladder and let that sucker spray for a good 5min. I used a pipe sleeve to mate the two ends back together and everything is draining just fine.

What I believe was happening was there was a bunch of small debris (egg shells) in the bottom of the pipe that weren't blocking much of the pipe just enough on the bottom to stop the flow due to the minimal angle in the pipe. So I think my snake was going right over the debris field.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks