Double shower drain vent question.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by TL, May 12, 2013.

1. TL

TL New Member

Hello again.

This is the orientation of the P trap for the double shower (roughly). Will this set up be ok? Assuming I pitch the horizontal portion of the vent (downwards toward the drain), can I use a 90 degree el to tie into the vertical portion of the vent pipe. . .or are 2 45s preferable (required?)? Or ladies choice?

Thanks in advance.

Tom View attachment 20201

Attached Files:

2. TL

TL New Member

I'm beginning to understand that this is a flat vent and not acceptable. Off to do some research. . .Any advice is appreciated!

Tom
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I cannot see what you are trying to do, but can tell you that the vent takeoff must be vertical. Normally this is accomplished by routing the drain line under a wall so the vent can come up into the wall.
  4. asktom

asktom Member

It looks like you are using a 2" trap with a union, I wouldn't do that. That type of trap has a tendency to leak at the union.
  5. TL

TL New Member

Thanks for the reply, cacher_chick.

When I get home, I will upload more pics to make things more clear as to what I am trying to accomplish.

In short. . .I will be framing in a 30x60" walk in shower - 2x4 walls on all sides. That back block wall with the vent pipe is the gable wall (the "back" wall of the shower). Where the P trap is sitting is the approximate location of the shower drain. Not sure that helps any, but I will upload photos later.

Tom
  6. TL

TL New Member

Crude pic, but hopefully you get the idea. 2x4 walls will be built to house a 32x60" walk in shower.

Tan = back wall
    Black = side walls
    Blue = front walls
    Red = old shower stall and drain
    Green = sink wall

The drain will fall roughly where it is placed. Below is the garage. The sinks will be on the wall to the right - you can see the drain rough in for the left sink at the bottom right of the pic.

Originally, the shower stall was in the left corner (the next joist bay to the left for the drain) and there was a sink facing the camera roughly where the lights are hanging from the ceiling. The stack and terlit are in the bottom left of the pic. The shower used a wet vent via the sink. I'm not sure I am expressing this correctly. . .I'll dig up a pic.

So what options do I have? How do I vent that shower drain without a flat vent?

Tom MasterBath045copyedit.JPG
  7. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The drain has to be routed to one side or the other so that the vent can come up into the wall. Once it is above 42", it can go horizontal (with pitch) and/or vertical to go wherever you need to go to continue it up through the roof.
  8. TL

TL New Member

Thanks.

Just getting a chance to reply here and over at the DIY forum. Both have been very helpful! Here's my last response. . .

Here's a quick mock up with some stuff I had laying around (these are 1.5 inch for demo purpose only). It looks like I can squeeze by in the inside portion of the 16"W (blue) wall. Come from the trap arm, through the joist with a long 90, add a wye on it's back and take the vent up vertically in the wall, and then continue on to the stack. Looking at the pics, what would be best to connect the last horizontal run. . .2 45s? 2 60s? 2 22s? (Less acute the better?)
    MasterBath045 005copy.jpg

MasterBath045 004copy.jpg

Also, 2 questions about the sink drains. The original was 1.25 inch going into the stack. Is this 1.5"x1.25" into the stack a no no? If so, if I can cut just behind the bolt I (may??) be able to get a 2" part of the 1.5"x2" fernco screwed on there.
    MasterBath045 006copy.jpg

Do they make long turn 45s?? Is this 45 asking for trouble (draining from the sinks)?

MasterBath045 003copy.jpg

That's all for now. It's been a long two days at "real" work. Thanks!

Tom