doorless/walk in shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by BABYCAKES, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BABYCAKES

BABYCAKES New Member

Can some one please help. I'am installing a tiled walk in shower. The outside walll is free standing on one end, how do I support it. The outside wall will be 6' long and 7' tall with a 32" walk in opening. How do we anchor this to floor? My husband is afraid if it gets bumped real hard it could crack tile. Also can we use liquid nails under the studs and then screw it in for more stability. Does any one have any good ideas. Thank You.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is there any way you can run something up to the ceiling? that would help.

You can use some heavy gauge steel and anchor it to the joists and then run it up the stud wall a ways. But, yes, you could still crack some tiles if it gets bumped hard.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I would strongly advice against a 6 foot long wall, 7' tall, and not supported at the top or both ends.

Is your shower going to be 32" wide and 6' deep?? No one will like that!.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wall

There is no way you are going to anchor that wall to the floor and not have it subject to movement. It must be anchored to the ceiling or have some other bracing.