Does a 2PSI to 0.5PSI natural gas regulator even exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

CoconutPete

Reaction score
I have a 2PSI natural gas system in my house. I have an outlet for the grill ... bought the hose, quick connect etc. everything I need for the grill.

Except....

All the grill parts say not to exceed 0.5pSI. OK - no problem.

The house is 2PSI.

So ... we need a regulator that takes the 2PSI down to 0.5 right? Should be simple. NO!

Here is what's common about people who sell regulators... they don't seem to know what the hell the max input PSI is .... am I crazy? Is the "don't exceed 0.5PSI" on the grill stuff just there for fun? Am I paranoid?

One guy from a grill supply place actually said "we don't have any information about that" when I asked about PSI....

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Contact the BBQ grill manufacturer and ask for a conversion kit, which will probably include a regulator. The BBQ has a regulator already, designed for propane, not natural gas (different pressure).

I've done this many many years ago and it worked fine.

Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable working with gas, don't risk it, call a plumber.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that a typical single stage propane regulator in the US, such as Camco 59013 would do the job. 11 inches of water [4 °C] = 0.397 pounds/square inch.

2 PSI for natural gas sounds nice! It sure would let you use smaller piping.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not an expert on this, but if the regulator can regulate CH4, I cannot see why it would have a problem with C3H6. Yes, propane molecules are larger than methane molecules, but I don't expect that would cause the regulation valve to not be able to regulate methane coming in at 2 PSI.

The regulator would be installed on the outside grill.

However http://www.grainger.com/product/MAXITROL-Regulator-5JC45 shows it to be for natural gas or propane with 2 psi input, and shows it to be adjustable for 7 to 11 WC.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the actual VOLUME of gas required between propane and NG is quite different for the same heat output...I do not think the same regulator will work. The jets for NG are much larger in diameter than those for propane to account for pressure/volume/heat content differences, so even if they did have the same pressure, their volume capacity may not be compatible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The appliance regulators the BBQ company sends with the grill are ONLY for 1 psi maximum input pressure. ANY GOOD plumbing supply store has high to low pressure regulator, then the appliance regulator "smooths" the pressure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is NOT a "conversion kit" problem or situation. I am not ever sure how we got from a high to low regulator, to LP versus natural gas, because that is NOT part of the question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks