Do you have to use a closet bend after a toilet flange?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JoshRountree, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JoshRountree

JoshRountree New Member

If I wanted to go down about 12 inches after the toilet flange to avoid have to cut joists, can I just use a piece of pipe and a coupler into a wye combo?

Similar to this, but the combo would be on its back for the vertical to horizontal transition.

When do you have to use a closet bend?

What's the difference between a spigot bend, and a hub bend?

flange_to_stack.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Putting the "Y" on its back introduces new dynamics and we would have to know WHAT is happening upstream of the "Y" to determine if, and how, it could be done. A hub bend uses a section of pipe between the bend and the flange. A spigot bend attaches directly to the flange.
  3. JoshRountree

JoshRountree New Member

What if the upstream is just a cleanout?

Is a spigot bend similar to a street?
  4. hj

Then it would depend on WHERE, and how, the vent is connnected. It is a "street" fitting but usually, an INCREASING one.
  5. JoshRountree

JoshRountree New Member

Does Lowes carry closet bends? I went yesterday to pick up some stuff for the washer/dryer rough in and I didn't see a single piece labled "closet bend".
  6. hj

I do NOT buy my plumbing stuff from Lowes, so I cannot answer that question. It may be that their clientele does NOT know what a closet bend is so they would not buy one even if Lowes sold them. Most DIYers, and some plumbers, use elbows and street elbows to make the toilet connection.
  7. JoshRountree

JoshRountree New Member

Streets and elbows just as good? What's the advantages of using closet bends?

Can you reccommend a plumbing supply place that might be nationally known, or just go to my local building supply?