Do I have the correct type of cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

oldberkeley

Reaction score
Installing a new Leviton 50A surface mount outlet for a range.

Went to a local electrical supply place, got 8/3 W/G NM-B.

Did not realize until today that except for the ground, the other 3 wires are stranded rather than solid.

Is this the norm? Will it work?

The outlet says "wire size range A.W.G. #10-#4".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you may be light on the gauge...what is the actual amperage the stove calls for? I'm not positive, but think it should be 6g, not 8g.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
As long as the range is 12kW or less, the #8NM cable and 50A receptacle are fine. Just use a 40A breaker.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I was under the impression that when you have a plug designed to allow plugging in something at 50A, your support wiring and protection device must match. Now, the chance of plugging in a larger stove/oven may not be high, because the plug can allow a 50A load to be plugged into it, it would require the wiring and cb to match. What are the exceptions to this? Same idea with using a 15A plug...must have at least 14g wire, and with a 20A plug, 12g wire, regardless of what you plug into it. Now, hardwired, is a totally different story, you match the wiring for the device and the cb.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I could find and paste all the applicable codes, but it's late and I'm tired.

Bottom line, the NEC allows household ranges of 12kW and under to be served by a 40A circuit minimum.

JerryR

Reaction score
Common practice for ranges. Even 40 amp pigtails have the typical 50 amp blades that plug into NEMA 14-50R 50 amp receptacles.

I've never seen a 40 amp 240v receptacle. Have you?

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I was under the impression that when you have a plug designed to allow plugging in something at 50A, your support wiring and protection device must match.
Nope.
Now, the chance of plugging in a larger stove/oven may not be high, because the plug can allow a 50A load to be plugged into it, it would require the wiring and cb to match.
Nope.
What are the exceptions to this?
210.21 would be the most relevant to this discussion. There are others.
Same idea with using a 15A plug...must have at least 14g wire, and with a 20A plug, 12g wire, regardless of what you plug into it.
Nope.
Now, hardwired, is a totally different story, you match the wiring for the device and the cb.
Nope.

You're a smart guy, if you want to explore deeper you can. There are rules that must be followed to keep things safe no doubt. The NEC has a pretty good handle on this and has not crossed over into the realm of trying to make everything absolutely idiot proof ......yet; they keep striving for it every three years.

Look at it this way....If I properly protect 14g wire with a 15A breaker it does not matter what kind of plug I put on the end of it or if I plug a range into it, if the load is too great the breaker will trip.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Go to the big box store, supply house, hardware store, or where ever the standard range cord will come with a cord that has a 50 amp end cap on it which will mean that the receptacle will have to have the same configuration or be a 50 amp receptacle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks