DIY question - how do I properly block/brace this 1" PEX water softener setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lars Callary

Reaction score
Here's a picture of an installation I completed of my whole house water softener. Drain plumbing will finish once the air gap I ordered arrives Monday. Hoping you can let me know a solid way to secure this. I'd have normally tried to run lines onto the wall - but in this case my loop in 1.25" PEX along w/ 1.25 => 1" sharkbite couplers had things protruding and I didn't think doubling all the way back and putting more 90's than I thought necessary was ideal.

I have 1" holdrite half clamps and am thinking perhaps 2x4's into studs in wall and then some sort of bracing out? Want to ensure I do this properly to not have the weight bearing down on the 1.25" PEX lines running into the house nor the rest of the setup.

Thanks very much!

water_softener_blocking_question.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
How far horizontally from the back of the vertical PEX with the gauges on it to the drywall?

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
iron or chlorine filter on the left, and softener on the right.

Unusual installation.

What is that p-trap? Do you plan to run your drain line into that? That is not connected to the horizontal bypass line with the gauge, is it? Or is that not a gauge for the horizontal line.

I think I would have added a cartridge filter in there somewhere.

Anyway, I am not sure you need support, but if I wanted support, I would build a sturdy horizontal shelf above. That could serve for storage, and also serve as a support for hanger straps down to the pex lines.

Lars Callary

Reaction score
iron or chlorine filter on the left, and softener on the right.

Unusual installation.

What is that p-trap? Do you plan to run your drain line into that? That is not connected to the horizontal bypass line with the gauge, is it? Or is that not a gauge for the horizontal line.

I think I would have added a cartridge filter in there somewhere.

Anyway, I am not sure you need support, but if I wanted support, I would build a sturdy horizontal shelf above. That could serve for storage, and also serve as a support for hanger straps down to the pex lines.
Coconut carbon on the right, softener is on the left and bring tank connected into that.
Water flows right to left.

straps down is a great idea snd I didn’t know existed - what type of strapping do I want?

p trap will serve as drain line - 1/2” pex out of both Clack heads into union tee into air gap atop that 1 1/2” drain pipe above trap.

thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Coconut carbon on the right, softener is on the left and bring tank connected into that.
Water flows right to left.
Oops. I slipped.

straps down is a great idea snd I didn’t know existed - what type of strapping do I want?
There are various types of hangers and brackets.
cpnh100-600-3.jpg
cpmh100-1200-3.jpg

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pipe-Support-Brackets-15031000

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-CESR100H-1-Epoxy-Copper-Tube-Split-Ring-Extension-Hanger
cesr100h-3.jpg
would go on a bolt or all-thread.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a reason to make that overhead shelf removable. Not sure, but a strong board across side cleats could let you pull that shelf if you ever wanted to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks