Diverter valve stem pulling out

Users who are viewing this thread

xdoc77

Reaction score
Forgive me in advance for calling things by the wrong name :)

Our tub spout has never diverted 100% of the water to the shower head and has always leaked into the tub a little while the shower was being used. However, now it diverts maybe only 60% of the water. Also, we have to be very careful when we pull it or the stem comes right out. What's the best way to fix this? Do I need to replace the whole spout? There is no set screw on the bottom side of it, so I'm not sure how to remove it if necessary.

Here's a picture of what I have:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23641540@N05/?saved=1

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Spouts are not repairable. You need a whole new spout. Look near the wall to see if there is a set screw holding it in place. If not, just unscrew the whole spout.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually bust off the outer shell of the spout so I can get a holdback wrench on the pipe inside it... Kinda like crackin open a lobstah!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

That is a Mixet faucet and many of their spouts were slip on with a set screw, but if yours does not have one, then it unscrews from the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks