Dishwasher Air Gap hookup size mismatch?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by stinkyDavis, Nov 27, 2006.

1. stinkyDavis

stinkyDavis New Member

Nov 22, 2006

I have a dishwasher but no garbage disposal. I want to install an air gap. It's my understanding that the standard sizes are:
    • dishwasher discharge hose: 5/8" ID
    • dishwasher wye sink tailpiece: 5/8" OD (takes 5/8" hose)
    • air gap inlet: 5/8" OD (takes 5/8" hose)
    • air gap discharge: ?
    I just bought new dishwasher discharge hose, 5/8", and a dishwasher tailpiece, copper, 5/8" fitting. They had a number of these in plastic as well, all 5/8", and one straggler with a 7/8" fitting. I'm looking for an air gap with a 5/8" discharge fitting so that I can make the hookup directly from airgap to tailpiece with a single length of hose, using no adapters.

The only air gaps I can find have a 7/8" discharge fitting, which it seems is used with a garbage disposal. Some websites refer to this as "standard", so I'm thinking there must be a non-standard air gap for connection to a dishwasher tailpiece (5/8") when you don't have a disposal. But I can't find this kind of air gap.

Does anyone know of an air gap that meets this requirement? Is the only way to do this with a reducer? Am I nuts?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

7/8" is standard and it is the size of a brass branch tailpiece connection. There are 7/8" plastic ones or you just clamp the 7/8" hose down to the size of your connection.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Apr 18, 2005
    Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    Buy the standard Air Gap with the 7/8" discharge and switch the tailpiece connection to 7/8".

The reason why I would go with the norm is because if you stick with 5/8" in the full swoop, the dishwasher depending on how fast it discharges will cause resistance and that Air Gap will always be leaking.

7/8" is the best way to go without any worries. Do not reduce to 5/8" using 7/8" heading towards it; it will back right up to the Air Gap.