Did my contractor screw up? how to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What disturbs me is the long horizontal sections you keep drawing. You say the other side of the wall is exterior brick so is not the vertical DWV just inside the wall and not far away as depicted?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How is that vertical DWV supported? Could it be cut below in the crawlspace and the hole in wall under the counter elongated so as to drop the pipe the desired amount? If the top goes straight up it would just protrude a little less through the roof.

pocoloco

Reaction score
What disturbs me is the long horizontal sections you keep drawing. You say the other side of the wall is exterior brick so is not the vertical DWV just inside the wall and not far away as depicted?

Yeah, not to scale. That horizontal pipe is 3 feet.

How is that vertical DWV supported? Could it be cut below in the crawlspace and the hole in wall under the counter elongated so as to drop the pipe the desired amount? If the top goes straight up it would just protrude a little less through the roof.

Not possible. Can't cut in crawlspace and the horiztonal pipe is locked in between studs.

Jastori

Reaction score
I already had my sink and disposal before he even started the job which he saw, so it's completely on him.

To be clear, the contractor hasn't left yet (haven't paid him the other 50%) and I called him out on it. He wants to work it out and we are exploring options. I'm posting here because I trust you guys a lot more than him and seeing if there are any other viable options. Cutting into the wall and cabinet, disturbing insulation, framing, etc. is what I'm trying to avoid IF I CAN. We very well may just go into the wall and do it right but just thinking out loud here. I appreciate everyone chiming in, I really do. You guys are awesome.

You should not have to 'work it out'. It is not that big of a deal (for him) to fix it properly. Give him two choices: fix it properly or he can forfeit the remaining 50% and walk away. Then you can hire someone else to fix it. All of the proposed alternate solutions are hacks - there is no reason not to do it correctly. Is there an inspection / inspector involved?

pocoloco

Reaction score
Are you saying where it disappears into the wall that it doesn't go vertical right away, that there is 3 more feet of horizontal before it does?

Yes once the drain goes into the wall, it goes horizontal for 3 feet before tapping into the wall. Was this way originally before we got to the house.

pocoloco

Reaction score
Another Q,

where the drain pipe meets the pipe coming out of the wall, it's cemented together. Shouldn't it be a slip nut of some sort? Reason I ask is if I ever had to detach this, I would have to saw it apart as opposed to unscrew the nut and pull it out. What's the standard way to do this?

6290794812_6845a944d4_b.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes once the drain goes into the wall, it goes horizontal for 3 feet before tapping into the wall. Was this way originally before we got to the house.
Was that intended as an offset to get around a window or other obstacle?

Could you push down a new pipe from the attic directly in line with the stud bay and just abandon the old one?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Isn't your contractor a licensed plumber? He should know what he's doing if he has a license.

pocoloco

Reaction score
Was that intended as an offset to get around a window or other obstacle?

Could you push down a new pipe from the attic directly in line with the stud bay and just abandon the old one?

Its due to a window so a new pipe is not possible. The plumber was someone on my GCs crew. My real licensed plumber is gonna swing by for an assessment sometime this week.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well it sounds to me like you have the makings of a pretty good law suit if the "someone" on the GC's crew was doing unlicensed work

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm considering this option as well. Remove disposal (don't really use it anyways) plus shallow baskets. Does the dishwasher Y have to be above the drain line since the drain line is attached at the way top of cabinet?

Here's how the Y would be installed except pointed in the other direction of course. Use a 90 off of the left sink and a sani t on the right then down to a p trap and into the wall. Like I said its close from what I can tell from the photo. Also keep the high loop on the DW drain line as this prevents backflow into the unit.
imagesCA7QSTDY.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've read this ten times and I still don't get it.

In a later posting, you indicate that there is a 3' offset in the wall. That can negate using it as a vent because it would have "backwards" slope as far as a vent is concerned, and could NOT be connected in such a way that any water in it could drain out. An AAV would get him off the hook cheaply, but would not be an ideal situation. Did that plumber actually install the offset pipe in the wall AND its connection into the vertical pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Reason I ask is if I ever had to detach this, I would have to saw it apart as opposed to unscrew the nut and pull it out. What's the standard way to do this?

A lot of plumbers use glued connections, usually to make it HARDER for the homeowner to do his own repairs in the future. As far as THIS drain system is concerned, there is NO STANDARD way to do it because there is no "plumber" who would have done it this way in the first place.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Did that plumber actually install the offset pipe in the wall AND its connection into the vertical pipe?
My inspector would never approve an offset like that. Even if the OP got rid of the garburator and raised the trap, would it pass inspection with the existing right-angle offset?

pocoloco

Reaction score
quote; I've read this ten times and I still don't get it.

In a later posting, you indicate that there is a 3' offset in the wall. That can negate using it as a vent because it would have "backwards" slope as far as a vent is concerned, and could NOT be connected in such a way that any water in it could drain out. An AAV would get him off the hook cheaply, but would not be an ideal situation. Did that plumber actually install the offset pipe in the wall AND its connection into the vertical pipe?

Thanks for clarifying. Plumber installed the offset pipe and connection to vertical pipe. He was following the original pipe lines and I never had any issues with drainage before. Now you guys got me thinking even if the drain was lowered, it'd still be problematic since the vent line needs to go 6" above flood level of sink before going horizontal and that I really can't do.

Can't do an AAV in illinois so that's out of the question.

Last edited: