Detached Garage Connections

Users who are viewing this thread

fptrob

Reaction score
I am building a detached garage. I have installed a 100A breaker in the main panel of the house and a subpanel in the garage. At the recommendation of a local electrician, the original plan was to run #2 quad plex underground from the garage to a disconnect switch on the outside of the house. Then run #2 SER from the disconnect to the main panel.

After some research on this and other sites, I found this was unnecessary. I have instead installed a 100A breaker in the subpanel as the disconnect switch for the garage. The subpanel is grounded to a copper pipe in the slab and to two grounding rods more than 6 feet apart (required by the inspector, but overkill it seems). I have run #2 quad plex from the garage to the crawl space of the house to near, but not near enough, for direct connection to the main panel. So, my question is, what is the best (and code-compliant) way to make up the connections between the #2 quad plex and the #2 SER to make it the rest of the way (about 10 ft.) to the main panel? Does the ground need to be an "irreversible connection" (crimp)?

The #2 quad plex comes in to an unfinished crawl space, but is long enough that it will reach into the finished basement on the same wall where the main panel is located (i.e., the main panel is on the wall that separates the basement from the crawl space).

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks