Delta Shower valve install

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Rich B, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

What is the preferred fittings to use to connect up a Delta tub/shower valve. I am using 1/2" copper and can just solder it but thought maybe there is a better way as the valve has male pipe threads on the inlet and the outlet sides.
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

All you have to do is to solder up pieces with adapters on them, when they cool off screw them in the valve, cut them to fit after you screw them in.

DO NOT TRY TO SOLDER THEM WHEN THEY ARE IN THE VALVE!!
  3. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

Thanks...I assumed that would be a better way to do it so as not to put any heat on the valvebody......1/2" FPT x 1/2" sweat looks like what I need.....
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Delta

If it is the common Delta valve body, it does not have the cartridge installed, so just remove the big nut and take off the plastic cover. Then insert the copper tubing DIRECTLY INTO the valve openings and solder them. DO NOT use adapters and you will not have to worry about leaks.
  5. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

Thanks HJ.....I did buy the adapters but can do it either way. Once everything is removed from the valve it is just a chunk of machined brass. There is a little plastic screen on the shower supply that pops in and out and must be removed also. I am very good at soldering. I will have to decide which way to install it this weekend.