Delta install with no hot water URGENT

Users who are viewing this thread

texan4lif

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my master bath and the contractor installed a Delta T17292-RB shower assembly with valve body R10000-UNBX. The problem I'm having is I don't have any hot water in the house. I've since had my gas water heater replaced thinking that would solve it but, still no hot water. The tile is up on the shower but not sealed or no glass enclosure yet until Friday the 19th. I'm guessing something went wrong with the valve body installation but can't figure it out and the contractor says he didn't do anything different. Is there something that could have gone wrong in the installation? Please, any input would be helpful. I've been taking cold showers for almost a week now.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm remodeling my master bath and the contractor installed a Delta T17292-RB shower assembly with valve body R10000-UNBX..

Is the cartridge installed in the valve body or does it have the test cap still on it? The test cap will cause a crossover situation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you have the test cap on and want normal operation everywhere else, they also include a little plug. Otherwise, the hot and cold lines are connected through the valve body when there's no cartridge installed. The test cap keeps it from leaking, and can be left in, but you need the plug to stop the crossover.

FWIW, if this is the cause, any self-respecting plumber should have been able to figure this out quickly. Also, you should have been able to feel the outlet pipe on the WH, and it would be hot, plus, if you opened the drain, it would run hot. Now, the WH could have been bad, but the fact a new one didn't change things, is a strong indication it was likely still good.

texan4lif

Reaction score
Thanks, LLigetfa. Yes the test cap is still there with no cartridge. I can only hope this is the problem.

texan4lif

Reaction score
jadnashua, thanks. After talking to the contractor, yes he did not put a plug, just installed the valve body so I hope this is the problem. I will have to go buy a plug today. I'm assuming you put the plug in the cold inlet side and put the test cap back on. God I didn't think I'd miss HW this much.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The plug came with the rough-in valve, but since it isn't installed, he probably threw it away. If you're lucky, both the instructions and the box are still laying around so you can see what I mean.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The plug came with the rough-in valve...

Mine did not come with a plug, just the test cap. Had I known that my cartridge would be on backorder, I would have ordered the rough-in with integrated shutoffs. As it turned out, my dealer had to lend me a lesser model cartridge that I could use to stop the crossover until my cartridge arrived.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is some info from the Delta site

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/r10000-unbx.html?proUser=true#/?tab=product-support

RP46079*
Reusable Test Plug

*Used to plug one inlet side (Hot or Cold) to prevent cross flow when checking for leaks before the cartridge is installed. Insert into the inlet, place test cap and use the bonnet to secure in place.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/repairparts/details/rp46079.html?proUser=true

http://www.deltafaucet.com/customer...ath&documentIndex=0&proUser=true#flashWrapper

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I've since had my gas water heater replaced thinking that would solve it but, still no hot water.

You are kidding me, right? Replacing a water heater WITHOUT checking to see if it was the problem would be the ultimate *******. If you had someone do it, then they were either incompetent or needed to make their truck payment and needed the work. Your original statement, "we do not have any hot water in the house" could mean that there was FLOW from the faucets but it was not hot OR that there was no flow from the hot faucets. These two problems have COMPLETELY different causes and cures so until you told us the cartridge was NOT installed, we had no clue as to which it was. And even then, since you listed a trim kit, which should have had the cartridge in it, we would have assumed it WAS installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks