deck for drop-in tub

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by phaseadvance, Jan 31, 2008.

1. phaseadvance

phaseadvance New Member

How much larger than the tub must the deck be? I'm going to install a drop-in whirlpool tub that is 5ft long X 32 in wide. I'd like the deck to be as small as possible, but still be wide enough for the faucet. The deck will be natural stone or solid surface. Thanks for your advice.
  2. cruiser

cruiser Member

Each manufacturer will specify their own size etc. You can check on the their website for their recs. and installation guide.
  3. ron in sc

ron in sc New Member

I just installed one of those air bubble type tubs and the deck size would not have been an issue because the weight of the tub is to be supported by the floor not the deck.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you use a long tub filler spout, you could mount the controls and spout on a knee wall and not need any deck, or a minimal one. In that situation, you may want to use a tub with a tiling flange, as it's a good idea to either have some area so you can see water splashed up and be able to dry it off, or not care, since the tub us against the wall with a tiled surface.