Danze trim plate not flush...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I am back in the game... I started tiling my kerdi shower today. I am using a Danze thermostatic control and having an issue with the trim plate. The rough in uses a plastic plate which the finished wall needs to be flush with.
So a while back when roughing this in I made sure it was flush, even made a test piece(tile, thinset and sheetrock) to determine the overall thickness.

Well I didnt accoutn for the kerdi which I didnt have at the time so it turns out my tile and plastic plate is about 1/8" off(plate is subflush). I am aware the rubber gasket acts as a water barrier. So how much tolerance do they give you??? Do i need to shim this up? I am assuming other trim plates are the same way and I bet not everyone get this exactly flush...or am I the only one

Any ideas...

thanks Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most designs give you a range of depth where it will work. No idea if this is one of them. It is likely that the outer edge of the rough-in cover is the maximum extension. If it is now recessed, things may not work at all - the screws too short, etc. Hard to tell. What do the instructions say specifically?

Chris Fox

Reaction score
The instructions just say to be flush no range. Realistically they should design some tolerance, I dont think everyone gets it right all the time, during rough in and finsihed wall I would think it is near imposssible to get 100% flush.
The instructions claim to have excellent 1-800 service i will give them a call and see if they can ofer more detail.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've heard that some showerheads (body sprays) have literally no tolerance. Some of them have various thickness washers so it tightens down exactly where you want it (it is not a tapered pipe thread on those). I am not familiary with that valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
danze

I am working with the same thing right now, and after I checked with Danze to see if they had an extension to make up for the 1/2" cement board, and was told they do not make one, I had to move the valve out because there is zero tolerance in that valve.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
hmmm, I was thinking of adding a plastic shim piece based off the paper template. It all depends on how much thread I have to compress the trim plate. I dont like the idea though.
HJ, sounds like your in the same situation. I guess I may have to cut in on the toilet wall and push this outward:mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks