Cutting outside city water shut off stem

Users who are viewing this thread

n2brk

Reaction score
Hello - my dad’s house is still trying to bounce back from superstorm Sandy. The latest problem stopping his CO is pictured below. The town says that the water shut off and clean out in the front yard need to be cut down low and they sold him the cast iron cover pictured to the right of the water (about the size of a gallon paint can).

The town requires they are covered with a steel plate. They don’t want any damage should a car park on it. In the middle of the front yard! SMH!

Anyway, I was thinking about digging down and recessing everything, but the water shut off doesn’t look like my house. It has those two holes on top. So if I cut it, is there a sleeve to mend it back? Or do o need to bring my welder to help him, haha.

I’d appreciate some advice and tips - I’ve never seen or heard of this before, but he’s at the shore, so I guess it’s a new requirement there now.

Thanks in advance

Wally

Attachments

• 28CE100E-18EF-40D5-AA5B-1618B2902261.jpeg
    28CE100E-18EF-40D5-AA5B-1618B2902261.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 183

Reach4

Reaction score
That water cutoff might be owned by the town or water department. I would ask them.

n2brk

Reaction score
they were the ones that won't give him a CO until it's buried deeper and covered. They are also the ones that sold him that cover.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Around here the shutoff stems are telescopic. When I lived in town, the frost would push it up every year and every Spring I'd pound it back down. I used to see a lot of folks have it sticking up a foot out of the ground and they would mow around it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
they were the ones that won't give him a CO until it's buried deeper and covered. They are also the ones that sold him that cover.
It wouldn't be the first time one city department didn't communicate with another department.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks