Cutting flange on alcove tub? Anyone done this before?

Users who are viewing this thread

leonk

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm planning on gutting my 2nd floor bathroom and remodel it. Part of the remodel includes moving the tub from it's current location to a better one (currently it's a tiny 48" x 22" tub!! in a 1918 home .. last remodelled in 1971). I plan on using an alcove fibreglass tub (60x30) except that the opening is about 18" wider.

The one solution my wife really likes is to create a bench to cover the remaining 18" (this way, she can sit on it, while soaking her feet in the tub). The thing is, she wants the granite or marble seat top to be almost flush with the top of the tub. Most pics I find online have the seat 6" or more above the top of the tub. The only install I saw that has the seat flush with the top was one of those under-mount tubs with the marble covering all 4 sides + seat.

So I was thinking. What about cutting the flange on 1 side of the tub? It will be the one most opposite from the drain/shower head. The marble will extend 1" or so over the cut and silicon will be used to hold the marble down and prevent water backflow. The wall/bench will be made water tight using Kerdi system.

So.. any suggestions? Am I insane of even thinking this? Has anyone done this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I suppose there is someone, somewhere, who has done it but have never seen it done. Kohler makes "flat rim" tubs, and a "tile bead" that you attach to the edges that will be in an alcove

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been done too, and I'm also guessing one of us had to replace that very tub prematurely due to a failure of some sort. Not only will waterproofing be much more difficult, but you'll void any tub warranty and lose structural integrity that the continuous flange provides.

Suggest leaving the flange as is, and raise the bench up some amount to help finish and waterproof that area. Doesn't need to be up 6" IMO, 3" or so should do it. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks