Culligan Softener always running

Users who are viewing this thread

thebone

Reaction score
This is something new as of last week or so. There is always a trickling water sound, similar to when it does its regen. It never stops. Ever.

Thoughts ?

Not sure the model # but it is 20 + years old.

20140910_102205.jpg 20140910_102111.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Although your thread indicates that you posted the original message on Wednesday morning, it didn't show-up to me until bedtime Thursday evening.

I'm not familiar with Culligan brand softeners but as it is over 20 years old, it will at least be due for a valve rebuild to renew pistons, seals and 'O' rings. 20-25 years is a long but not unexpected period before requiring service.

My softener required rebuilding within 15 years as the chlorine in my municipal water caused the soft components to degrade more rapidly. At the time of rebuilding, I also replaced the resin as the chlorine had also degraded the resin which resulted in reduced softening capacity and high pressure drop through the unit.

Although rebuilding a valve is usually a relatively easy job for a DIYer, depending on the valve, obtaining replacement parts maybe the most difficult aspect as you're likely limited to obtaining parts directly from a Culligan dealer. With proprietary equipment, you're at their mercy for cost and whether they will assist or instead, attempt to force you into a new system.

If you can post the valve model number or a photo with the cover removed, someone here maybe able to provide further recommendations including whether it is worthwhile to repair or to consider replacement.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are going to need a piston rebuild kit.
The main piston and seals are no longer forming a 100% seal and thus water going to the drain.
There is a kit right now on E....B.....A.....Y .... around 75. if I remember correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks