culligan mark 812 knocking noise

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by elkel, Oct 31, 2005.

1. elkel

elkel New Member

Thanks for having this forum. We have a culligan mark 812 soft water unit that has been working fine, but now it is making a knocking sound and it can be heard thruout the house. I can feel the thumping when I feel the black valve assy at the water inlet and outlet pipes on the unit. Can this be an easy fix? thankx elkel
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

From your description of the problem I can't come up with much understanding of the problem. Unplug the control and see if the noise stops. If so I suggest it may be the motor making the noise. If the noise is only when water is being used.... I have no idea of possible causes. Call Culligan and ask them for ideas.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates
  3. elkel

elkel New Member

culligan 812 thumping noise

Thanks for your reply Gary, I did unplug but no change. makes noise all the time, sounds like someone tapping on the pipes and carries all thru the house. It also sounds like a release of pressure then the knocking. about every 30-45 seconds. was hoping to be able to do something simple to cure. Thanka again...............Elkel
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

knock

Push the bypass valve in to see if it is in the softener or the piping to it. I had one last week that the sound was from a defective pressure reducing valve on the line to the softener.