Culligan HE valve life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ifican

Reaction score
Just had a culligan HE system installed. Many things i like about it, got a really good price considering all in all but i do have a question about valve life. Was chatting with a few trusted sources (friends) who know a few folks that work for culligan and they said the valves on these newer systems only seems to last a few years before needing replacement. I am reaching out to the community to see if thats an overall concern or are valve replacements typical for all softeners? I suppose a follow on question is most discussion seems to be to set softeners to regen apprx 7-9 days? Is this a general rule of thumb or is it ok to go 10-? days?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suppose a follow on question is most discussion seems to be to set softeners to regen apprx 7-9 days? Is this a general rule of thumb or is it ok to go 10-? days?

Chlorinated water or not? If not, what are the iron and manganese numbers?

Ifican

Reaction score
Municipal water, 17g , 0 iron rest it dont know, and yes chlorinated, running 20" BB in front of softener.

Last edited:

Ifican

Reaction score
Great info thx for that. Though the more important of the two is the potential valve issue. I dont know if its an issue or not as i have never had a softener. Any input on valve life in general? Anyone ever changed a culligan valve on HE system?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Both Fleck and Clack manufacture high quality and reliable water softener and backwash valves. They are most often sold to distributors and dealers for use in softeners comprised of generic, off the shelf components. These softeners are commonly marketed as the dealer's brand name or they may not have any brand shown.

Both Fleck and Clack have a lifespan of 20+ years although with chlorine, a valve's internal 'soft' components (seals, washers, pistons) will more rapidly degrade by the chlorine and so will need periodic replacement. Seal and piston kits maybe economically and easily obtained off the shelf either on-line or from most local water treatment dealers. This is unlike specialty brands (Culligan, Kinetico etc) as their parts are most typically only available through their dealer network and as availability is restricted, the client is at their mercy as to cost.

Ifican

Reaction score
What is a standard life expectancy of valves on muni water that uses chlorine. I am heraing 3-5 years on this unit, the current cost of the valve assembly that they will sell to me is just about 100. I am sure its not anything i cant handle replacing. I am just wondering if 3-5 years is typical on city water? Is it worth picking up an assembly at todays prices just to have onhand? Also since i am in the trial period trying to decide if this is going to be what we want to go with. A close friend has an older model that is going on 10 years with no issues at all. Being latest and greatest one out there i fully expect like most other things now adays its engineered to fail after x amout of cycles and hence my need to get this unit as efficient as possible to make that time those cycles take as long as possible.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Culligan used to use reputable companies like Fleck to make many of their valves. Not sure who made the HE valve, I understand Culligan has offshored a considerable portion of their manufacturing to China.

Bannerman

Reaction score
My personal experience: I installed a seal, spacer and piston kit in my Fleck 5600 last year. This was the first service since the unit was installed in 1997 on chlorinated municipal water.

I performed the work myself so my cost was limited to the parts kit and travel to a local distributor. I seem to recall the cost was about $50-$60. I believe the replacement cost for my valve is ~$375 Can$, but mine is a mechanical metered valve that does not have any computerized programming.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks